Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from MilesR: Red Dragon

 My submission for the "Armor" Bonus Round is a hastily prepared Red Dragon from the Reaper Bones line.  Why is he facing off against a Panzer III (painted two challenges ago) - because that will be the theme of my Historicon game "DAK and Dragons" - the first historically accurate depiction of Tank on Dragon combat in North Africa put on at a major US convention.


 As I said in my recent Saturday submission the material Reaper uses for it's Bones line doesn't work that well for small/thin figures but is just about perfect for really large pieces like the dragon, which is about 12 inches high (top of the wing tips).  The price is also really reasonable.
The model was fun to paint and detail
 It's also very sturdy as I've managed to drop it twice during the painting process without any damage.
 Here's a shot next to 2 28mm Perry French Foreign Legion figures to give another hint of the scale of the model.
 The obligatory ruler shot.
There does seem to be an armored scale missing from the dragon's armored scale coat.  Maybe an well trained Panzer III gunner can put a 50mm AP round through it?

I seem to remember this plot point from some other piece of work...

15 comments:

  1. That's an imposing piece of work - just make sure your gunner has the black 50mm shell that was handed down by his father and his father's father and you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work! Great to see a Dragon in the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the missing scale- there must be a critical hit roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry. I am sure your Historicon game will be hot - the panzer had better not get that close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one. I like the touch of the missing scale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now THAT is a dragon. Personally I find it hard to decide what colour to paint dragons... there's too much choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dragons are always cool, this one is no exception, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great wyrm Miles and nice catch on the subject matter last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice (and BIG) recovery from your 'vehicle' entry. He's a big red brute! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive! Still going to have trouble with the old 88's I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work, Miles!!! I love the combination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say a dragon does fit in the armor theme as the have plenty of natural and magical armor for most blows to bounce off of em!
    You have to let us know how many gunners pull off that shot! ;)

    ReplyDelete