Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from StephenS - An Army For My Dad

At first I rummaged through my lead pile looking for an old mini that has been lying around for years unpainted, but nothing really grabbed me. Suddenly, I saw this box on the shelf of my local gaming website, and knew it was meant to be.



Dad's Army - A BBC staple and a show that I used to love watching with my dad as a kid, mostly because it was one of the few shows he would sit down and watch back then. Not the original screening from 1968-1977, as that was a little bit before my time. No, I mean one of the many re-runs that followed afterwards, in my case, the late 80's.




The minis arrived in less than stellar condition, poor Private Frank will have to watch himself with his Tommy gun since the barrel was twisted off. They were however, a delight to paint, and I felt the sculpts captured the... character of the characters =) Hopefully my painting isn't too far off. I wasn't able to get the civilian versions finished, as the cobblestone bases I ordered didn't arrive in time.






I can't wait to get them on the table. I imagine that after an appropriately hilarious misadventure, they might find themselves confusedly wandering around France, with the warden along to make sure they are putting out the lights!





All up that's eight 28 mm figures from Warlords Games, that brought back some fond memories!

Cheers,
Steve


22 comments:

  1. I was so hoping someone would paint these. You did a splendid job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work - you've done a great job of these Steve. Brings back many happy memories for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell yeah! Now THAT'S Nostalgia!

    Great work, Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great series and equally great painted figures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great series and equally great painted figures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, it was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely renditions of a great show's cast! I have the Foundry version and had a great heap of fun painting them, hope it was as enjoyable for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Stuff. The BBC showed a drama about the making of the show over Christmas and if you get the chance you should watch it. Pike's West Ham scarf is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  9. I painted these about 1 month before the challenge and I have to say yours look better then mine! I am looking forward to the new film

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being new to the UK, I don't fully understand this show or have seen it in its entirety.. but that being said it will be interesting to see how the movie comes out like soon enough ;) Great paint on them though, and now looking towards seeing the civis painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking stuff Steve. That scarf is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who do you think you are kidding...

    Lovely work Stephen - they'll make a great gift for your father :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely wonderful, still hoping to get some of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most splendid work. I love the programme and it's still making me and my family (of all generations) laugh ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just awesome. I've been coveting this box set as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone, my dad will get a real kick out of these little guys, and they were a treat to paint! Now to watch a few re-runs of something...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work Steve! Your paint job has really helped to flesh out the character of the minis.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great set, nicely painted. My favorite is the guy with the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have seen a few bits of the show on YouTube just because of these models being released. I can fully appreciate how you all feel about that show too, as it is how I feel about F Troop! ;)
    Great job on the fellows as they look as though they just stepped out of the TV! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great to see this set so nicely painted. I have happy memories of watching Dad's Army. Frank broke his gun? "Stupid boy".

    ReplyDelete